PetroKazakhstan's Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Policy is the basis for defining and implementation of the Company’s HSE goals and objectives. PetroKazakhstan's HSE priorities are:
- Protect people’s health and safety and the natural environment as far as reasonably practicable;
- Integrate HSE into all the Company’s business and operations;
- Commit to sustainable development of the Company, the communities where it operates and the Republic of Kazakhstan.
To reach the defined targets and objectives, the PetroKazakhstan group of companies has successfully implemented HSE management system that corresponds to the requirements of such international standards as ISO 14001:2015 (environmental management standard) and OHSAS 18001:2007 (occupational safety and health management standard) and ISO 50001:2011 (energy management standard).
Health and Safety
HSE Guiding principles of the Company are:
- HSE shall be a priority in all decisions made.
- Working safely is a condition of employment.
- Company is obliged to provide HSE training to employees.
- Line management is directly responsible and accountable for HSE in ones’ work scope.
- Line Management must participate in HSE audits and inspections in person.
- Employees are obliged to participate in hazard identification, risk assessment and control.
- All hazards must be promptly eliminated.
- All accidents/incidents and near misses must be reported, investigated, analyzed and timely dealt with.
- Consistent HSE standards shall be implemented in contractor management.
In order to implement the Company's guidelines, “PetroKazakhstan Oil Products” (hereinafter – PKOP LLP) has introduced the Integrated HSE Management Structure (“AMAN” project), that consists of the High HSE Performance Committee and the following sub-committees:
- Instructions, rules and Procedures sub-committee,
- HSE training and development sub-committee,
- Information and Communication sub-committee,
- HSE Audit and HSE Efficiency Analysis sub-committee,
- Contractor Safety Performance sub-committee.
The following best practices were implemented as part subcommittees operation:
- conduct of behavioral safety observations (including driving behavioral safety observations),
- development and introduction of HSE Golden Rules and Zero Tolerance Rules,
- introduced HSE key performance indicators,
- installed HSE information boards in the territory of the refinery and 24-hours information panel at the refinery’s entrance.
The Company is actively implementing the Employee Rewarding Program for Reporting of Near Misses, Unsafe Conditions / Actions, within the framework of which employees are quarterly rewarded and awarded with certificates and memorable pins.
The Company participates in the republican contests in the HSE nominations. Thus, PKOP LLP was rewarded in the nomination “The Best Enterprise in Safety and Labor Protection Area” at the International Labor Protection Day (2018) organized by the South Kazakhstan Labor Inspection Department.
In 2018 at the IV Annual Forum of General Directors of “NC “KMG”, the Company was distinguished a certificate of occupational safety excellence in recognition of achieving of 20 years without a work-related fatality.
Environment protection at production facilities is one of the priority tasks of the Company. Investing in the efficient environmental management, PetroKazakhstan builds infrastructure allowing the environmental situation to be improved at all the production facilities and adjacent areas.
In order to reduce the impact of production processes on the environment, the Company annually allocates significant assets on nature protection measures and implementation of the resource saving technologies and processes that meet international standards and Kazakhstani legislative requirements.
PKOP LLP is an active participant of social and environmental projects. It carries out annual tree-planting campaigns in the territory of the refinery and sanitary protection zone..
Preventing large environmental accidents and complying with requirements for atmospheric emissions, wastewater and solid waste processing, waste reduction, recycling and re-use are one of the key trends in the Company's nature saving activities.
According to the Industrial Environmental Monitoring Program, PKOP LLP inspects the refinery facilities, takes measurements of the environmental components, in order to monitor the compliance with approved maximum permissible emissions and discharges, as well as the quality of soil in the refinery’s sanitary protection zone.
The refinery production facilities modernization is over, including PKOP LLP waste treatment facilities: the installed “closed –type” equipment prevents emissions of pollutant substances into air and soil. Additional treatment of waste water at the Reverse Osmosis Unit of Waste Treatment Facilities allows saving of 1.5 mln. m3 of fresh water annually, that is 32% of total water consumption for process needs.
In 2017 new flare unit was put into operation. It consists of two flare systems used for the utilization via burning of hydrocarbons, flammable and other hazardous substances generated at new process and resources feeding units (utility networks), in case of emergency situation. The height of the stacks is 137 m, which allows increasing of the area of dispersion of pollutants. The height of the earlier used stacks was 42 m.
PKOP LLP main environment protection achievements are:
- Zero environmental incidents.
- All environmental emissions are within the approved limits.
- PKOP LLP environmental targets and objectives are developed and tracked.
- Greenhouse gas emissions are within the limits specified for the refinery as per the National Free Allowances Distribution Plan.
- Treatment facilities recycled 796,640 m3 of wastewater and returned it into the fire fighting system saving 212 000 000 tenge as a payment for fresh water.